18 Ways of Staying Healthy in 2018
There is no wrong time for adopting a healthier lifestyle and ditching the habits that are detrimental towards one’s well-being. However, there is something about each New Year that helps get the enthusiasm and motivation up a notch. On that note, the following are top 18 ways of staying healthy in 2018:
- Starting each day with a healthy breakfast: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And it doesn’t come as a surprise that a healthy breakfast should have fruits, eggs, milk, and vegetables, as often as possible.
- Quitting smoking: More than 1 million people die due to tobacco in India every year which just goes to say how big a problem it is.
It may be hard to quit smoking cold turkey, but with small and continued efforts such as using nicotine patches, nicotine gum, etc. can help get rid of the addiction once and for all.
- Regular checkups: A human body is a complex machine. There is no telling what’s going on beneath the skin and bones. That said, regular health checkups can greatly help in the identification of potential diseases or health conditions upon which immediate action can be taken.
- Exercising: One doesn’t have to be a fitness freak to stay healthy. Even just 30 minutes of jogging/light exercise 5 days a week is enough to stay in shape.
- Cutting down on junk food: Junk food is bad for many reasons. It has a high amount of saturated fats, sugar, sodium, and other such things that when consumed for a long time can have seriously harmful effects on one’s health. So, it should be consumed in moderation if not avoided altogether.
- Getting sufficient sleep: Lack of sleep can cause a slew of health problems including diabetes, heart diseases, and even obesity.
At least 8 hours of sound sleep is a must for an adult to stay healthy.
- Drinking enough water: A human body needs high amounts of water to maintain the normal body temperature, digestion of food, and many other bodily functions. This is the reason why health experts recommended drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day.
- Spending time with nature: A break from technology (mobile, Internet, etc.) can do wonders for our health. Spending 20-30 minutes in a garden or at a shore can reduce stress levels, improve mood, and provide the body with fresh and clean air.
- 10 minute breaks: The sedentary lifestyle that’s common to urban workplaces is extremely bad for health. Taking a 10-minute walk after every one hour of desktop-work can improve blood circulation and keep obesity and other health conditions at bay.
- Kicking out the negativity: Being healthy doesn’t mean just a healthy body, it also means a healthy mind. So, apart from focusing on the physical health, it’s important to improve mental health by staying away from negative thoughts and ideas.
- Embracing optimism: Developing a positive outlook on life and staying away from pessimism can do wonders for one’s health.
- Avoiding artificial flavorings and additives: Choosing organic and natural food items over the ones that use additives, preservatives, etc. can go a long way in developing a healthy lifestyle.
- Adding dry fruits to the diet: Dry fruits and nuts like cashews, almonds, etc. are rich in many essential minerals, proteins, and vitamins that are good for health.
- Limiting caffeine intake: Caffeine whether in the form of coffee or tea, when consumed in high amounts, can be bad for health. Thus, moderation is important.
- Meditation: Meditating for a few minutes on a daily basis improves concentration, reduces stress, and even slows aging!
- Self-examination: A number of health conditions, including various forms of cancers, can be prevented and treated before it’s too late by giving yourself a full-body skin check.
- Adopting a pet: Several studies have shown that having a pet in the house can improve the atmosphere and reduce the stress levels of the residents.
18. Having sex more often: A healthy sexual intercourse helps with sleeping better and releases certain hormones in the body that increase the happiness levels.